
getting kisses from mommyLyla Grace is 2 lb. 5 oz today! She is back and forth between CPAP and nasal cannula. Paul and I were able to hold her Monday night and it was wonderful. She is doing well with her feedings and usually wakes up early ready to eat! I'm praying she will catch up with her brothers...I just have to keep reminding myself she is much smaller than they are right now, but she will get there!
Callen is 3 lb. 6 oz. and still on nasal cannula. He is also doing well with feedings. He gets a bottle once a day now! Sometimes he does really well and other times he is tired and doesn't do well sucking. The nurses said that he will eventually catch on once he matures a little more. I have changed my mind about his personality. I have a feeling he and LG will be our live wires!
Sutter is a whopping 4 lb. 6 oz. today! He is also still on nasal cannula. He is taking a bottle every other feed. I was able to feed him today and he took almost the entire bottle! I was so proud of him. I just love being able to feed him and kiss his forehead. There's nothing like it! Sutter seems pretty laid back. The only time he seems to fuss is when he is hungry. We are hoping Sutter and Callen will be able to maintain their body temperature and go from their isolette to a crib SOON.
Several people have asked me why the babies were delivered so early. On March 9 I went in for a routine appt. and ultra sound. The ultra sound showed that LG had not grown at all in about 4 weeks. She was half the size of her brothers and not moving around much. When the Dr. saw this he decided it would be best for me to undergo a stress test. During a stress test they watch to see if the babies heart rates drop during a contraction. Sure enough LG was having a lot of heart rate drops. The Dr. decided to admit me and watch to see if the heart rate drops continued. I have to admit that I thought I was going to go home the next day. I was 27 weeks 5 days and my goal was to get to at least 32 weeks. Things didn't quite go as planned...throughout the night LG continued to show signs of stress. The next morning the Dr. came in and told me we had to deliver. I remember thinking "NO, we can't! Not yet, it's too early" Paul and I had 2 hours to call our families before the delivery. I have never been so anxious and scared in my life. We knew the babies would be in the 2 lb range so I tried to prepare myself...nothing could prepare me for what came next. The Dr. pulled LG out first and held her up for me to see. I will never forget how tiny she was! Next he pulled out Sutter who was the biggest and then Callen. All babies came out breathing on their own! They even let out the tiniest cries. They were the best sounds I have ever heard! They were immediately whisked away and intubated. It turns out LG had IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction). She had thrombosis in her umbilical cord and was basically starving. The Dr. said that if we had not delivered when we did, he does not think she would have made it another 72 hrs. After 2 hours in recovery I was able to go visit the babies in the NICU. It's hard to believe they have already been in the NICU for 6 weeks! I'm so ready for them to be home but I have to keep reminding myself they aren't supposed to be here yet. We are so grateful for the 6 weeks they have been here!


No comments:
Post a Comment